Sunday, August 17, 2008

Blood Culture Takes a Break From Touring

After seven years, more than 350 panels, and thousands of undrawn ideas, it's time for David and me to take a break from Blood Culture.

I would love to keep the old beast that is Blood Culture chugging along, adding oil only when the panic lights tell me to, but it needs a rest. We need a rest. I've lived with Edgar the Red Blood Cell for 11 years, and David for 7. In that time, Blood Culture has won the hearts of only a few people. I find it shocking, but it's true.

I say with certainty that Blood Culture is an absolutely hilarious comic strip. Hell, I think it's brilliant. Just brilliant.

And maybe that's the problem. Like a parent who sees only genius in his obviously dimwitted child, perhaps I haven't been critical enough of my creation. Blood Culture has faults, but I'm simply too close to the strip to see them. Maybe a few months away from Edgar will give me that perspective.

But Blood Culture isn’t going away entirely. This is a hiatus, not an ending. Blood Culture will still appear three times a week on Comics Sherpa and I'll be posting much older Blood Culture's that haven't been seen in almost 10 years, as well as commentary on the genesis of our favorite panels.

So until later in the week, when I'll post the first Blood Culture ever drawn, thanks for visiting, and I'll see you in the funny papers.

Not exactly, but you know what I mean.

1 comment:

NiteOwlz / Glenn Page Music said...

I think the problem some people have with Blood Culture is that sometimes the humor is a bit subtle. That is, it's not always in-your-face obvious.

Sometimes you need to reflect on what's being said: there are all kinds of riffs on language, religion, culture and human behaviour and sometimes they're placed between the lines. Well, they're not TOO far between the lines. But just enough that people have to think about it a little.

While Edgar definitely has its kneejerk slap and guffaw moments, alot of the humor is a tad more whimsical and cerebral, despite any appearances to the contrary.

It's the old double bind... you want to create something of quality, and yet you need to have popular acceptance for a mass audience to SEE the thing of quality. Hence, you end up either compromising your product or you don't get to reach as many people as you'd like.

I think Blood Culture is funny and some of the gags are downright inspired. Hopefully, there WILL be more Blood Culture in the future.